It’s really starting to feel like summer is just around the corner and as soon as the sun peeks through those clouds we find ourselves craving a fresh salad. Our Moroccan inspired recipe has just the right amount of spice, filling chick peas and delicious roast aubergine to satisfy even the biggest of eaters. You could even serve it up in a big bowl as a ‘help yourself’ side salad.
Prep: 15 minutes, plus standing
Cooking time: 18 minutes
1 aubergine, trimmed and thinly sliced
8 tbsp local Rapeseed Oil
50g flaked almonds
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
3 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
1 tsp paprika
2 x 400g cans The Co-operative chick peas, drained and rinsed
100g The Co-operative dried apricots, halved
Squeeze of lemon juice
Bunch of coriander, chopped (optional)
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 x 80g bag The Co-operative sweet baby leaf or mixed leaf salad
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/Gas 4. Line 2 baking sheets with non-stick baking paper and place the aubergine slices over them. Drizzle or brush with 2 tbsp oil.
- Bake for 10–15 minutes or until golden. Remove and transfer to a serving dish.
- Cook almonds in a frying pan over a gentle heat, stirring for 1–2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Transfer to the serving dish.
- Add 2 tbsp oil to the pan and heat. Add the garlic and 2 tsp cumin, coriander seeds (or ground coriander) and paprika. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, then add the chick peas, apricots and lemon juice. Season and mix well. Add the chopped coriander (if using) and transfer to the serving dish.
- Whisk the remaining oil, vinegar and remaining 1 tsp cumin together and mix with the chick peas. Cover and leave at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- Serve on top of the salad leaves.