These tasty delights are sure to have you reaching for more. A sticky mix with local honey, crunchy walnuts and cool ice cream made by Dennetts in Spilsby.
SERVES: 4–6 (MAKES 25–30)
PREPARATION TIME: 10 MINUTES
PLUS 40 MINUTES’ PROVING
COOKING TIME: 10–12 MINUTES
300g plain flour
½ tsp salt
2 tsp easy bake dried yeast
1 tbsp honey from the Love Local range
Vegetable oil for deep frying
150ml honey from the Love Local range
Finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
1 cinnamon stick or 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Icing sugar, ground cinnamon, to dust,
Chopped walnuts, to scatter over
Dennetts Vanilla Ice Cream, to serve
1. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl and stir in the yeast. Make a well in the centre. Put the honey in a jug and add 100ml of boiling water. Stir until honey dissolves then add the milk. Pour into well and mix until you have a soft dough.
2. Cover with clingfilm or damp tea towel and leave in a warm place to prove for 40 minutes or until almost doubled in size.
3. For the syrup, gently heat ingredients in a saucepan, stirring, until butter has melted and honey is runny. Simmer for 1 minute or until syrupy. Remove from heat.
4. Ten minutes before end of the dough’s proving time, fill a large saucepan ¾ full of vegetable oil. Heat gently until a small piece of the dough sizzles and browns within 30 seconds when added to the oil.
5. Dip a teaspoon in a cup of water and then scoop up a small amount of dough. Wet the palm of one hand and place dough into palm, then place back onto teaspoon (this smooths the dough and makes a ball shape). Add to oil and cook dough balls in batches, turning occasionally, for 2–3 minutes or until golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and place in a serving dish.
6. Gently reheat syrup and remove cinnamon stick (if using). Pour over doughnuts. Dust with icing sugar and cinnamon, scatter with walnuts and serve with ice cream.