These treats are an interesting twist on a classic, and they’re so quick and easy that there’s no excuse not to try them! Get the kids involved and teach them why Fairtrade is so important for so many people across the world while you’re whipping up a tasty bake!
200g Co-op Fairtrade dark chocolate
175g unsalted butter
325g Fairtrade caster sugar
160g plain flour
3 eggs from our love local range
Fairtrade icing sugar to dust
3 tsp Co-op Truly Irresistible Fairtrade Columbian Coffee
50g chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3.
- Melt together chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until smooth
- Remove from the heat and stir in instant coffee, which will dissolve in the butter and chocolate. Add in sugar and flour and stir until well incorporated, then add eggs and mix until thick and lump-free.
- Stir in the chopped pieces of walnut.
- Pour the mixture into a greased baking tray (33cm x 23cm) and bake in your preheated oven until it is cooked, but not dry – around 25-30 minutes. Leave to cool then dust with icing sugar or serve in a sundae with some Dennetts ice cream from our Love Local range.
Top Tip: Keep it local and substitute the instant coffee for some of our new member’s choice blend of Fairtrade coffee from Stokes!